In the last few weeks, InnovAge has collected pearls of wisdom from some of the more than 6,000 older adults enrolled in the Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly, or PACE. Here is some of what they shared, in their own words – pieces of advice, myths about aging, and the best parts of getting older.
Advice for a Younger Person
The Best Thing About Getting Older
- You have only so many years. Enjoy them!
- Obey your parents. It doesn’t cost anything to be nice.
- Surround yourself with positive people and have faith in your abilities.
- Follow your passion. Do what you like to do!
- Adapt to old age – sometimes it’s kind of messy. Don’t worry about wrinkles.
Myths about Getting Older
- You are wiser. I have some nuggets to drop on younger people if they will listen. You don’t get old being stupid.
- You think more about what is right and wrong.
- The best thing about getting older is you get away with a lot of crap and you get good senior discounts.
- Older peoples live to sit in their rocking chair and do nothing. Many older people are an asset to their family and community.
- When you get old, you lose spunk. We still kick, just not as high.
Do you have any advice, myths, or other pearls of wisdom to share?