Checking in During the Holidays
December 17, 2021
- Ask what they might need help with around the house. Are they having a hard time shoveling snow or mowing their lawn?
- Check for loose rugs, extension cords, or cluttered furniture that can lead to tripping or falling. Make sure there’s adequate lighting, particularly around stairs.
- Check the refrigerator for old or expired food.
- The bathroom can be a dangerous place, especially for falls. Check if your loved one is fully mobile and ask whether they would benefit from grab bars or a shower chair.
- Medication management is important with older adults. Make sure that they’re taking medications as directed.
- Have they received their vaccinations (including COVID, flu, and pneumonia)? Older adults are particularly vulnerable to these viruses. Immunization is a quick and easy way to prevent them.
One of the benefits included in PACE are the in-home assessments each participant receives. InnovAge experts visit the home to make sure it’s safe and accessible, and each participant and their caregiver receive safety education.